- white cake
- push-up pop cylinders
- 1 5/8″ round cutter
- white buttercream icing
- pastry bag with large round tip
- peppermint powder
- peppermint syrup
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. peppermint flavor or 15 drops peppermint oil
In a saucepan, melt butter. Add sugar, milk, and peppermint oil. Bring to a boil and boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
1) Bake white cake in a jelly roll pan. Let cool. Using a skewer or fork, poke holes into the cake. Drizzle peppermint mixture onto cake and use a spatula to spread over entire cake.
2) Use a cookie cutter the same diameter as the inside of the push-up containers and cut enough circles for each container to have 3. If some layers are thicker than others, cut them so that all layers are even.
3) Alternate cake, buttercream, and peppermint dust in each container. Start with a layer of cake, then pipe a small amount of icing making sure to go all the way to the edge. Sprinkle with peppermint powder.
4) Repeat 3 times until the push-up cylinder is full. Arrange in a container or push-up pop holder.
*Another Variation*- Peppermint Candy Cake
Bake 3-8″ layers of white cake. Poke holes and pour syrup over. Place one layer syrup side up on 10″ cake plate or board. Spread buttercream over top and sprinkle with peppermint powder or chips. Repeat with second cake layer. Place third cake layer on top and ice entire cake in buttercream. Use candy cane cookie cutter to make design on top of cake. Click here for more in-depth instructions.